Thursday, May 2, 2013

Trip to Kyūshū, Part II

A new day, a new city. Visiting the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum and Peace Park was an educational experience that no textbook could ever equal, albeit much more depressing and eerie. Fortunately, there were some furry friends in the park that lifted my spirits: the most obedient Shiba Inu being trained to become a statue by its master, (he barely moved an inch when I came up to take a picture) and a group of the cutest and fattest cats I have ever seen. To top it all off, a rainbow! Next on the itinerary was Glover Garden, a park dedicated to Thomas Blake Glover who contributed to Japan's modernization. The park surrounds a hill so it was quite a workout getting to the top but it all paid off after getting to see a panoramic view of the Nagasaki harbor. Along the way were a couple of charming boutiques, sakura trees, and statues of Cio-cio san, a character from the opera Madama Butterfly and Giacomo Puccini, who wrote it.

P.S. I'm quite finicky about editing pictures, not to mention it takes a long while for me to get into the groove of writing. I apologize for posting so slowly.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about "posting so slowly", this way we can slowly process our slight jealousy and take our time admiring the cutesy pictures. Because really, THOSE CATS!

    I would love to visit the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum myself. I've always admired museums that show 'difficult' (cultural) heritage to the big public. I think it's a difficult task to work out well.

    The cherry blossoms, and well your photos in general, look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't post slow, and sometimes the wait adds to the anticipation and makes reading your post that much more exciting :)

    Wonderful photos! Oh my, look at all those cats. It's so fun to visit museums and places where you learn about history.

    ReplyDelete